The Girl Next Door

Chapter One

“Aleksandra,” the unknown voice whispered in my ear as the person wrapped their arms around my small frame.

“Who are you,” I whispered back as their hands slid up my arms and around my throat. Their large hands gripped my throat restricting air flow.

“You know,” they growled as they choked me. Tears ran down my cheeks as I attempted to breathe.


I woke up, gasping for air. I looked around the dark room before my eyes landed on my bright digital clock, 4:15 A.M. I shook my head and started to calm down. Just a dream, I reminded myself before falling back on my sweat coated sheets. I groaned inwardly. I’d been having the same nightmare for weeks. I always woke up in a sweat, struggling to breath.

I knew I wasn’t going back to bed any time so I rolled over and pulled my phone off my wireless charger. I scrolled through the messages and comments I missed. I wouldn’t say I was famous, but I was definitely out there. I definitely had a following on Instagram and TikTok for my covers of known songs. I did everything, from country, to classic rock, to alternative metal. Normally it was just the acoustic versions, but people seemed to like them. My most recent one was “Carry On my Wayward Son”, and it had blown up. I had thousands of comments on it, mostly from people that had seen Supernatural. There were people posting it on Twitter and FaceBook, tagging some of the actors from the esteemed show. I had looked into it a few times, but it hadn’t really caught my interest. I wasn’t all that into long T.V. shows, and I was more into the spiritual side of things.


I sighed, set my phone down, and got up to get ready for the day. I walked into the kitchen and started brewing coffee before catching a quick shower before getting dressed.

When I walked back into the kitchen my coffee was finished. I filled a cup and went to sit outside of my house. It was already bright and warm for it being 5:30 in the morning, but it was Austin, Texas and I definitely was not used to the warmth yet. I missed the random sub zero temperatures and inches upon inches of snow I’d get in the north eastern part of Wisconsin, and in college at Northern Michigan University. 

I watched as the sun rose higher, sitting on the built-in swing on my porch, reminding myself to get the large area redone eventually. I went back inside and grabbed my laptop to continue the book I had been writing, trying to get it done as soon as possible so I could send it to my editor before the deadline, not that it was going to be on time anyway. I very rarely got anything into my team on time. Between attempting to do something with the music major I had obtained through college and the big move across the country for a new life, I rarely had time for the third book that my fans were eagerly awaiting for. 

I looked up from the word document to see someone ending their jog, walking around their driveway to settle their racing heart. I had assumed it was a female with how long the hair was, but when the person turned around I was pleasantly surprised to see a very attractive and tall male. He saw me and waved. I raised my hand in a greeting before taking a sip of my coffee. 

A soft tapping on my porch made me glance down at my watch to see the time: 10:27 A.M. I shook my head and looked for the sound of the tapping to find the man from across the street smiling at me. He was even better looking up close: shoulder length brown hair, gorgeous hazel eyes anyone could get lost in and what seemed like a five o’clock shadow. His dark grey shirt hugged his seemingly toned chest while his green and beige flannel squeezed his equally muscular arms. I had to take a deep breath to keep from staring.

“Uh, hi,” the strange man said, quite awkwardly at that.

“Howdy,” I replied, glancing down at my laptop before setting it next to me and sliding closer to him.

“Sorry, this is weird. You just moved in a couple weeks back, right?” He chuckled slightly, obviously nervous. I nodded and he held his hand out. “Welcome to the neighbourhood, I’m Jared.”

“Aleks, thanks. It’s a gorgeous neighbourhood, and quite quiet,” I said and I shook his hand with a firm grip. No one, not even this awkward but gorgeous man, was going to show dominance over me. He smiled a little before retracting his hand.

“It’s just what I need right now,” Jared said, the tone of his voice shifted and he gave me a smile that didn’t quite catch his eyes. I knew that look all too well.

“Jared,” I whispered, trying to see into his eyes, but they wouldn’t meet mine. He nodded at me as if to tell me to keep going. “I know we just met. Literally, but if you need someone to talk to. I’m here. I would know that look anywhere.” His eyes widened and he looked away. I sighed.

“We literally just met, Aleks. You act like you have no idea who I am or what I’m going through,” he stated, quite obviously getting upset. I took a deep breath trying not to get worked up.

“Well, Jared. I don’t know who you are. On the other end of this. You’re the one that came over here. How am I to know you don’t know who I am?” I snapped back, still trying to keep myself under control. His eyes widened again as he looked directly into my eyes.

“You don’t know who I am?” he asked. I laughed and shook my head.

“Am I supposed to?” I replied, standing up. I crossed my arms and looked at him expectantly. 

“I’m an actor. Jared Padalecki.” He stood up and from the second step up we were about eye level and I finally realized just how tall this man was.

“I’ve never once heard of you,” I stated, but the name rang a bell and I wondered why. “But you sure you don’t know me? Semi famous singer and author? A.S.K.?”

“Wait? You’re A.S.K.?” He looked me dead in the eyes and his jaw dropped to the floor. “I was tagged in a video you did recently. You sang "Carry On My Wayward Son”!” My eyes widened.

“You played in that one show that used the song,” I exclaimed and he laughed. It was heart stopping, I swear.

“Supernatural. Yes I was one of the protagonists. You’ve never seen it?”

“Nah,” I replied, “It’s not my cup of tea.” Jared chuckled a little more. 

“Well, since neither of us realized the other is famous,” he murmured gently, scratching the back of his neck, “I suppose I owe you an apology. Why don’t you come over tonight. Say around Six? I’ll have a couple friends over, but I’d still like to make up for it.” I quietly pondered his invitation for a few seconds before I replied.

“I’ll be there, Jared.” He finally had a smile that met his eyes.

“I’ll see you at six, Aleks,” He turned to walk away but I called out his name. He turned his head back toward me.

“Do I need to bring anything?” 

“Just yourself,” and with that he walked away. 

I turned and grabbed my laptop, skimming through the process in the five hours I had been sitting out there with my eyes glued to the screen. I decided that it was enough writing and that I needed to get my hands on a guitar. I walked back in, set my laptop down on the kitchen counter and walked back into the living room. I looked at the guitars on the wall and decided on my blue baby. Something about the way she faded from blue to black gave me goosebumps every time I eyed her. 

Once I had everything I needed, I went back out onto my porch to get my newest song down, “Seven Nights in Eire” by Reckless Kelly. I looked at the sheet music and just before I got everything started, my phone went off. I quickly unlocked it and saw that I had a new follower on TikTok. Since I was now on TikTok I decided to start a live show, hoping I wouldn’t get too many people watching it. I set my phone on my stand and picked my guitar up. I didn’t say anything, I started learning the fingerings first. Slowly I started to play it, tuning it as I went to get the right sound. I glanced up once in a while to look at the comments and I saw a name go across the screen, “Jar_Pad”. I squinted to read it and that’s when I finally realized I hadn’t put my glasses on yet. I gave my fan the ‘one second’ signal and ran inside. 

When I came back out there were so many comments running across my phone. There were so many people freaking out about Jared Padalecki watching my live on TikTok. I just rolled my eyes and picked up Blue baby and continued to play. 

When I glanced up again, the chat had slowed and the username “Jar_Pad” showed up again with a comment. “You play so elegantly for literally just learning this.” I blushed and smiled at the screen before continuing to read the sheet music in front of me. 

I finally decided I was done, but my fans wanted more. I glanced at my watch to check the time and decided I’d give them something else. I gave the screen the ‘one second ‘signal again, brought my stuff inside and grabbed my first true love and the folder I had designated for her. I walked back out and looked across the street to see Jared sitting on his porch, staring at his phone. He glanced up and saw me with my case. I looked at him before I set the case down in the middle of my porch, kneeling down. I unhooked the latches and slowly put it together. I put my reed in the medicine glass I had filled with water and hooked my seat strap up to it. I set the large and gorgeous bassoon down on the swing before I set my folder up and pulled out the music. Finally, I was ready. I put my reed on the mouth piece, tuned my baby and looked at my phone screen.

“SO, I kind of figured you guys wanted more guitar, but I personally needed something else for a while. This is my first true love, my bassoon. She was a gift from my family when I told them I had gotten into NMU with a scholarship for music. This piece I’m going to play is called ‘Adagio’ by Beethoven. I played this my senior year of high school, for a solo ensemble and also as part of the requirement to my scholarship.” I put my reed in my mouth and played the slow, but complex piece. When I was finished, I realised that some of my other neighbours had come out to watch and listen. I blushed as some of the neighbours clapped and the people watching my stream flooded the comment section with loving and adoring notes. I just stood up and bowed. I then quickly said goodbye and ended the stream, seeing some of my neighbours walking over to talk to me. I was about to be the talk of the neighbourhood and here I was, dressed in camo shorts, black no show socks, and black Trigun t-shirt and a black and green flannel. 

I set my bassoon down gently and walked down my steps to talk to the neighbours. 


After I finally answered everyone’s questions, I went inside to get ready for Jared’s. It was already 5 in the afternoon. I get to the room and open up my closet. I pulled the sheet off my full body mirror and took my hair out of the tight, but large bun it was in and ran a brush through the long black curls. When my hair wasn’t up, but was down to my thighs. I used to put it in a ponytail and wrap it around my neck in the winter. I looked at myself in the mirror, still wondering what to do.

I finally decided on a pair black short shorts, my black no-shows with my maroon high-top converse and a black tank top, with the same black and green flannel that was probably the right size for Jared seeing as I drowned in it. I looked back in the mirror again and put my glasses back on, still wondering what to do with my hair. 

I decided to leave it the way it was, but I fixed my part to where it was supposed to be. I walked back into my living room to check my phone. There were so many new comments on my TikToks from Jared’s fans. Some were super sweet, while others were down right nasty, but I knew some would. That’s what came with being semi famous online. My twitter and Instagram had blown up as well. I checked the time again and saw that I still had a little bit before Jared’s so I decided to send a quick message to my editor to let him know that I was almost done and it'd probably only be a day or two. 

Finally at Six P.M. I walked out my front door, locked it, and walked across the street to Jared’s house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door